How the Agency Business is Like Tim Tebow
Yesterday Digiday gathered top media executives, buyers and marketers from digital agencies at the inaugural Digiday Agency summit in New York to discuss the current state of digital buying and what’s on the horizon in 2012. Panel discussions included topics like “A Publisher’s Guide to Fixing Agencies,” “The Agency Model is Broken – Or Is It?” and the Hypebusters panel on “The Shifts Ahead as Agencies Automate.” Here are some notable quotes from Digiday Agency.
• “The agency business is like Tim Tebow: Everyone thinks we’re screwed, but here we are in the fourth quarter still winning.” –- Rob Norman, CEO, GroupM
• “Just because you can measure it, doesn’t mean you should.” – Nate Woodman, COO, Adnetik
• “There’s so much VC money being put to use with sneaker-designing parties.” — Eric Franchi, co-founder, Undertone
• “Big is good, only if big is smart.” — Rob Norman, CEO, GroupM, on the Yahoo-AOL-Microsoft ad alliance
• “I don’t believe you can be in the digital space now unless you make things.”– Jean-Philippe Maheu, CEO, Publicis Modem
• “You have to go from being the pilot to being the stewardess.” — Lars Bastholm, chief creative officer, Cheil USA
• “The fact that we’re still talking about the click-through rate, it’s like the world is flat.” — Aaron Broder, CEO of Evolve Media
• “Even if you are a brand advertiser, your goal is to drive people into a store to purchase.” -– Brian Lesser, CEO, Xaxis
• “Culture of fail is embraced — fail quickly but hope that one of the campaigns takes off.” — Darren Herman managing director, kbs+p Ventures, on agencies as VCs
• “It was an incredibly effective mechanism of trade.” — Quentin George, chief innovation officer, IPG Mediabrands, on the famed role of three-martini lunch in the ad process
Jose Cuervo Tequila celebrates UFC’s 30th anniversary with Kevin Holland, Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson ads
Mexico-based Jose Cuervo, is the first tequila brand to be a direct advertiser of the UFC with spots featuring UFC fighters Kevin Holland, a Cuervo ambassador, and Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson.
Benjamin Moore is using OOH near big-box retailers to say their paint isn’t there, encouraging people shop local
The 140-year-old paint brand wants to make sure people know that it is only available at local retailers.
With advertising in flux, Twitter is outsourcing ad monetization to ad tech
Since May 13, Twitter has been selling ad inventory through the mobile advertising marketplace Inmobi.
SponsoredHow agencies’ relationships with RMNs are continuing to evolve in 2023
Sponsored by Best Buy Ads As retail media networks proliferate, agencies are increasingly identifying RMNs as valuable opportunities for their brand clients as they seek quality audience data, meaningful reporting and insights, and authentic and engaging ad formats and creative. However, there are many options for them to work through as they select RMN partners. […]
Marketing Briefing: As Pride approaches, marketers should be ‘truly invested’ as marketing backlash continues
Marketers and agency execs say that this current moment will likely make clear the brands that are truly committed to supporting the LGBTQIA+ community and those that had simply made Pride an annual marketing moment.
Why Airbnb’s global head of marketing says in-housing agency critique is a fallacy
As the in-housing agency trend continues, Digiday talks to Airbnb about its strategy.