Washington Post CRO Jed Hartman: For brands, ‘politics is the new pop culture’
Subscribe: iTunes | Stitcher | RSS
Political news may be driving subscriptions and engagement for publishers in the Trump era, but advertisers remain skittish around buying space next to political news.
But Jed Hartman, CRO of the Washington Post is confident that it’s just a matter of time until brands find the right space for their messages: “News isn’t toxic for advertising. Some news is toxic for some advertisers.” And as a huge news publisher, he is confident that the Post can provide the right environment for every brand.
He joined Digiday’s senior editor, Lucia Moses, at the Digiday Publishing Summit in Vail, Colorado for a discussion on how to make the ad model work for everyone.
Edited highlights below.
Look for the right advertisers.
“We have a team that focuses on advocacy advertising, who are looking for serious policy conversations. A lot of it, of course, includes Trump. He’s the president of the United States, and marketers do buy that directly at high CPMs. Not all news is right for all advertisers. 20 percent of our content we create is politics, the other 80 percent is not. So we can always find a safe place for a marketer.”
Politics is the new pop culture.
“Everyone was surprised by the election. Marketers are developing their campaigns based on a certain news environment. A lot of marketers paused and thought about what their message was going to be because they were surprised. From the ad side, politics is the pop culture now. You go into a sports bar and there is Fox or MSNBC or CNN [going on the TV]. It’s pop culture. The Washington Post is not a wonky magazine, we’re a scaled news player in the world in terms of digital scale. If a marketer wants a scaled safe environment, the Post and some of our competitors is a good place for that.”
“It’s OK to say not all news makes sense for all ad messages. If we said it didn’t matter, that means the content that you’re next to doesn’t matter. We want content to matter. Death and destruction, which we also report on, may not be the right message for a brand that wants to pay a big CPM. However, there are other marketers that want to sell something, where perhaps the CPM isn’t this high, and we can monetize it through programmatic channel regardless.”
Publishers need to stay away from binaries.
“Are you gonna be big or are you gonna be engaging? Are you gonna sell advertising or are you going to sell subscriptions? Beware the tyranny of “or”. It’s an “and.” We have consistently had more page views and therefore, we’re more engaging. We like where are, and we won’t trade that for other opportunities.”
Newsletter publishers say they continue to see uptick in revenue despite advertising slowdown
At a time when larger media companies are feeling the pressure of the economic downturn and advertising slowdown, newsletter businesses continue to be in a period of revenue growth.
TikTok’s CEO faces bipartisan skepticism in first Congressional hearing on security concerns
The hearing comes amid calls to remove TikTok from government devices and in some cases even ban it entirely.
Media Briefing: What to expect at the Digiday Publishing Summit
As DPS draws nearer, top pain points for publishers are coming to light.
SponsoredHow advertisers are leveraging omnichannel attribution and measurement to power CTV
Sponsored by MNTN Connected TV advertising has joined and expanded the larger ecosystem of campaigns that advertisers deploy. As such, omnichannel marketing strategies now encompass television and mobile devices, tablets and other screens such as out-of-home. And as customers engage across these different touchpoints, brands are seeking and moving their measurement and analytics efforts to […]
New app launches through Apple hoping to win with ‘zero-party data’ when others haven’t
Caden's new app lets users connect data from their Uber, Amazon, Netflix and other accounts in exchange for money. Will it take off?
‘The next level for us’: The New York Times eyes better retention for games in subscription drive
The games division is focusing on finding new ways to mine the inherent competitive nature of games like encouraging people to play multiple games in a single session or through new achievements and rewards for progression.