After premiering the first scripted original show on Snapchat in October, Snap is looking to add to its “Snap Originals” slate. In particular, the company is interested in acquiring more teen dramas and hard comedies, according to a document the company has shared with entertainment execs. The document outlines the types of scripted original shows Snap is on the hunt for in the first quarter of 2019. A Snap spokesperson declined to comment.
The key hits:
- Snap is willing to pay companies upfront to produce original shows.
- Series budgets can reach $50,000 per episode and go higher for scripted shows that are more expensive to produce.
- Lately Snap is looking to expand its teen drama slate and add more traditional comedies, instead of dramedies.
- The types of comedies Snap is seeking include animated shows and musicals.
- Snap is also looking for shows that represent Latino and African-American audiences.
- Series timed to events such as spring break, prom and Halloween are also of interest.
Earlier this month, we reported that Snap is offering to pay companies $40,000 to $50,000 an episode to produce original shows for Snapchat. The company is willing to open it’s wallet a bit wider for scripted shows, which typically run for around 10 episodes with each episode averaging five minutes in length.