The rallying cry of the fragmented buying world goes something like this: We’ll link buyers and sellers directly and cut out the middleman. Along the way, more margin will go to publishers. Sounds good, if only it were true.
First, a bit of history. When ad networks began in the late 1990s, the business model was a 60/40 revenue split. Publishers retained 60 percent of the price they charged for inventory, and ad networks received 40 percent to do everything from inventory analysis and categorization to bulk optimization and sales. The outcry soon came that ad networks were taking too much of the pie for what was perceived to be only a distribution role.
Media traditionalists were quick to compare this new digital landscape to the offline world they had always known and point out that typical agency media fees were closer to 15 percent than to 40 percent. But agencies and other media buyers needed to bring little more to the table than long-term relationships when selling TV, radio and outdoor, while ad networks were charged with developing and employing technologies that integrated data, monitored and optimized ad placement in real time and increased the speed and scale by which inventory could be sold.
That’s when new players surfaced sporting an alphabet soup of acronyms. These companies could position themselves against the ad network by touting that they took far less margin — 10-20 percent rather than 40 percent. Yet there are so many of these players taking a piece that the benefits they tout are illusory.
A campaign may be pushed through an agency (taking 10 percent) using an in-house trading desk (taking 10 percent) to plug into a DSP (taking 15 percent), with a couple of other tech players (data, ad verification, analytics) layered on (another 20 percent). An irony of the new structure is that a DSP will often still rely on an ad network to deliver real scalability for long-tail inventory, which further reduces the publisher’s margin. Finally, the publisher is likely using an SSP to handle yield issues which were originally being handled by ad networks. In the end, a publisher that charges a $2 CPM for its inventory may now receive 60 cents to 80 cents, where it would have realized $1.20 in the original 60/40 model. That doesn’t sound like such a great deal.
Suddenly, it seems the industry may have been penny wise, pound foolish in its original criticism of ad networks. With publishers regularly seeing 30-40 percent of the original spend, the likelihood is that they wouldn’t mind going back to a less fragmented market and retaining 60 percent margin to have a one-stop partner that integrates all of the pieces of the campaign and looks out for advertisers and publishers.
The moral is be careful what you wish for. Thankfully, DSPs (on the advertiser side) and SSPs (on the publisher side) are now making moves to cross the divide and offer services usually reserved to the other. Data companies are being swallowed up by agency trading desks, and there is a concerted effort to move back to the core concept of serving both advertisers and publishers. And ad networks, reports of their death much exaggerated, are seeing resurgence in attention and desirability, especially from frustrated publishers.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. We can only hope that the next time the pieces get moved around the board, we keep an eye on efficiency and resist change simply for the sake of change.
Mike Seiman is CEO of CPX Interactive, an ad network.
How chef influencer Tue Nguyen works with the BuzzFeed Creator Network
BuzzFeed's Creator Network has been valuable from an audience and production education standpoint, but Nguyen still drives most of her business on her own.
Dentsu’s new Web3 readiness tool shines light on the tech’s potential to complement AI
Dentsu's Innovation Initiative is launching a web3 readiness index next month — at a time when the industry is obsessed with AI. Could the two technologies actually make a good pair?
Digiday+ Research deep dive: Publishers large and small put their resources into first-party data
Eighty-two percent of publishers overall say they're already using first-party data to prepare for the end of the third-party cookie, and nearly half are requiring users to register and integrating first-party data segments into DSPs – indicating that first-party data is the clear path forward for publishers heading into the post-cookie world.
SponsoredHow enterprise-grade CDPs are enhancing data processes and improving customer experiences
Produced in partnership with Marketecture The following article highlights an interview between Martin Kihn, Salesforce’s senior vice president of Marketing Cloud, and Ari Paparo, founder and CEO of Marketecture Media. Register to watch more of the discussion and learn how brands are making the most of enterprise-grade CDP technologies. As brands expand across channels and […]
Media Briefing: Why publishers hope chatbots will be the latest retention tool
Publishers hope the chatbots they are developing will be the latest retention tool to keep readers onsite and to get them to consume more content.
How programmatic advertising will evolve this year on the heels of audio growth and privacy changes
Comscore’s programmatic division Proximic released a State of Programmatic study highlighting the growth of audio and podcasting, other digital advertising channels and challenges around third-party data.