Daily July 29
Cutbacks aren’t just a problem for publishers and broadcasters, which is normal during economic slumps. Online media owners are now starting to feel the crunch too.
- Roku revealed it saw advertisers pull back from the scatter market in the latter half of the second quarter.
- Building up a library of original games could help increase the variety and scale of Netflix’s available ad inventory, particularly as in-game advertising becomes a more fully developed channel.
- Subscription-based pet health care startup Fuzzy has leaned into direct mail, ramping up spend from 10% this time last year to up to 40% of marketing spend today.
- Booking.com is kicking off its “Summer of ‘Yeah'” campaign with a series of “Smiley Stays” across the U.S., in partnership with The Smiley Company, the brand behind the iconic smiley symbol.
- Popular gaming streamer and YouTuber Ali “SypherPK” Hassan has opened a dedicated Fortnite Creative mapmaking division in Oni Studios.
- Publishers’ secondary market strategy: What happens when the monetary appeal of NFTs isn’t enough?